Top 10 Ways to Succeed in Mail
In a Thursday afternoon session recalling David Letterman’s most famous skit, Mark Fallon of The Berkshire Company and Lois Ritarossi of High Rock Strategies presented “Top 10 Ways for Printers to be Successful in Mail.”
The list, counting down:
10. Get educated today. For printers, “There are more resources available today,” Ritarossi said.
9. If outsourcing, get to know your mail partner. “What and how are they processing your mail?” Fallon asked.
8. Understand that it all begins with the address. “Managing data is the most critical thing you do with your mail,” Ritarossi stated.
7. Meet with your USPS business rep. The USPS Postal Pro website helps find these specialists.
6. Join the local Postal Customer Council. Through meetings and other programs, you can share knowledge with other large mailers in your area.
5. Understand that “integrity” means more than just your reputation. “How do you know that every piece of mail made it through the process?” Fallon asked.
4. Get informed about the Informed platform. USPS’s Informed Delivery email has a 70% open rate, Fallon said. It creates an omnichannel presence for your customers, and best of all, it’s FREE.
3. Learn about USPS promotions and incentives. USPS is proposing 5 programs for 2020 for mail that uses different types of inks, substrates, and advanced technology – all for a 2% rebate on your postage. “It also allows you to be a thought leader with your customer,” Ritarossi said.
2. Design with mail in mind. You should make sure you’re helping your customers design for mail, Ritarossi said, to avoid problems later.
1. Have fun! With mail, “there are a lot of rules to follow,” Fallon said. “But have fun!”