Sign, Graphics and Visual Communications Wages Up, Outpacing all Manufacturing Jobs
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — December 11, 2018 — Sign, graphics and visual communications industry jobs pay better than the average manufacturing job, and overall wages have increased in recent years. That is according to the ISA Wage & Benefits Survey, created for the International Sign Association by the independent research firm Association Research Inc.
Survey results showcase several major findings, including:
- Average pay increases for hourly employees (5.1%) slightly outpaced increases for salaried management employees (5.0%) and salaried administrative and operational employees (4.8%).
- More than six in 10 responding companies (63.0%) indicated that they plan to hire additional staff in the second half (July through December) of 2018.
- Companies had more full-time equivalent employees (29.2) compared to the last survey in 2015 (23).
- Almost half of sales personnel (46.7%) receive salary and commission. The average commission rate is 7.9% for new sales and 6.8% of existing sales. This was down from 2015.
- Paid vacations, holidays and health insurance were the most frequently provided benefits for executives/managers, salaried employees and hourly employees.
Beyond the broad insights, the survey provides detailed analysis of salaries and benefits for 60 common positions in the sign, graphics and visual communications industry. These positions range from apprentice and data entry clerk up to CEO and VP levels. The data is sorted based on company size and geographic region, allowing companies to evaluate how their wages and benefits compare to peers.
“Knowing comparative compensation data is important for companies to stay competitive in the acquisition and retention of employees,” says Lori Anderson, ISA president and CEO. “And, at a time when retaining/finding skilled workers is an ever-growing issue in our industry, the data in this report can provide the leg up over your competitors.”
The full report, an executive summary, in-depth job descriptions and an infographic all are available, with discounts for ISA and Affiliated Association members. All are available at www.signs.org/salary.
The preceding press release was provided by a company unaffiliated with Wide-Format Impressions. The views expressed within do not directly reflect the thoughts or opinions of Wide-Format Impressions.